California Naturalist Program
Grassroots Ecology will hold our 3rd annual California Naturalist Certificate training in 2018 from March 6 through May 8. Our class is currently full, but for more details, check out the 2018 Cal Nat Program Description and Application.
The California Naturalist class will introduce you to the wonders of nature and engage you in the stewardship of California’s natural communities. The course will utilize a combination of science curriculum; guest lecturers, field trips and project based learning to immerse you in the natural world of the San Francisco Peninsula. Participants become part of a community of graduates from previous years. This group will have opportunities to network and learn together into the future.
The University of California Naturalist Program promotes environmental literacy and stewardship through discovery and action. This 40-hour course combines classroom and field experience in science, problem-solving, communication training and community service to explore the unique ecology and natural history of the Bay Area. California Naturalist Certification provides the following benefits:
- New skills, opportunities, and incentives for personal, volunteer, and professional development
- Future discounts and invitations to CalNat biennial statewide conferences and other continuing education opportunities
- Connections to science institutions across the state
- Fellowship and collaboration with other certified California Naturalists throughout the state
- The excitement of being part of the venerable tradition of naturalists throughout history and part of a new innovative community of natural resource stewards
In addition to coursework and field trips, California Naturalists will be required to complete an 8-hour “capstone project” in one of four areas: program support, interpretation/education, restoration/conservation, and/or citizen science, and are also encouraged to complete 40 hours of volunteer service each year.
Upon completing certification requirements, participants are eligible for four academic credits through UC Davis Extension for an additional nominal fee.